Monday, 10 August 2015

Audrey Yeo (01) for 08/07/15

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/nursing-student-gave-to-others-even-in-her-death

The Straits Times
Issue being discussed: An 18 year old nursing student said she wanted to donate her organs to the people in need after her death. After a sudden collapse due to an arterial rupture in the brain, she passes away. Her organs were donated to 5 recipients after her sudden death.
General observations and opinions: In my opinion, I would be very happy if people are able to become organ donors. After our deaths, we would not be using our organs anymore. Why not donate them to help save lives rather than letting them rot under the soil or be burnt? Some patients need these organs to continue fighting for their lives and some may be the sole breadwinner in their household or some may be the only child of a couple. When I turn 21 years old, I would definitely 'sign up' as an organ donor.
Writer's approach: ---writer did not state-----
However, the father said that donating her organs to others makes them feel better as the five recipients are alive and having her organs in them makes them feel like there is still some part of their daughter around. They are proud of their daughter doing something good and that five lives can continue to move on in Singapore.
Relating to Singapore: For those people whose religion allows them to do so, I hope that they can consider being a organ donor even though it is not something we can force people to do as we all have our own beliefs and opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Just like Audrey, I will register as a organ donor when I turn 21. This is very meaningful as my healthy organs can save many out there who are yearning to live. I would encourage others to do the same but for those who refuse to donate their organs upon death due to religious or personal beliefs, I will respect them. It does not mean that if you don't donate, you are a heartless person. This is not a determining factor of your kindness as choosing whether to donate your organs or not is a perspective issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like Audrey, I will register as a organ donor when I turn 21. This is very meaningful as my healthy organs can save many out there who are yearning to live. I would encourage others to do the same but for those who refuse to donate their organs upon death due to religious or personal beliefs, I will respect them. It does not mean that if you don't donate, you are a heartless person. This is not a determining factor of your kindness as choosing whether to donate your organs or not is a perspective issue.

    ReplyDelete